Saturday, September 17, 2011

Unit Comparison: 5 Warriors vs 5 Wracks



Wow. It's been a long two months. For those of you who don't know, I got a new job, moved, got a house, all sorts of crap. Also with all this going on, my monitor acted funny. I let my wife called HP to get a new one. Long story short, I spent the last 3 nights trying to repair my computer. I am also very happy to be apart of Da Deff Kompny Supa Duppa Mo Dakka, Mo Chopper, Krumpedy Krump( just like Gork, or possibley Mork) Blog ever!!!! Anyhow, the Blog fairy is angry so on to the article....


Ok, I've been thinking, Venom spam seems to be all the rage right now. I am personally not convinced,  but that is another story. I definitely see the appeal. Venoms are amazing. I have been running 10 man squads and have found them to be a tad lacking. I am also finding it harder to squeeze in enough Anti tank and decent assault units. And at the end of the day, it's not like 10 man units are more durable or anything. All these things got me thinking about our "red-headed step child" troop choice, wracks. Anyhow lets compare two very similar units.

Warrior Unit.......125 pts.
5 Warrior
Blaster
Venom w/ 2 Splinter Cannon

Wrack Unit.......125 pts.
5 Wracks
Liquifier Gun
Venom w/ 2 Splinter Cannons

The warriors are the classic choice. They are much more fragile than the wracks but, their big advantage is the blaster. One blaster doesn't seem like much, but remember we are looking at the army as a whole. That means 5 or 6 more darklight shots on the table. That can really change the game. Plus the poison shots can be great. The Wracks have poison, but have to be in assault to use it. And when I say Wracks are more durable, it still doesn't mean they are all that durable. T4 FNP is good, but with 5 models it is still not the type of unit that can get thrown into the mix.

Of course, in every other way the wracks are better. The only real down side is the having to take a haemonculus to make them troops, and it's not really a downside, just a restriction. Plus the liquifier gun can be a MONSTER!!!. I killed a 10 man unit of Eldar warp spiders in one shot. Absolutely gross. Another great thing is, if you have an assault force, or plan to assault anything, the Wracks have the ability to move up and support, where as the others can't.

Verdict: At the end of the day,which is better? I think, like with all DE armies it depends on the army you build around it. I personally think wracks are better. They will be more able to push units off of objectives, as well as the abiltiy to support other assault units in your force.  Compared to some of our other anti-infantry options, 125pts for this unit's damage output is a steal. Also, anti tank can often be found most efficiently in the rest of the army. Of course, if you need the anti-tank, or have a generally shooty force, warriors are the obvious choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment